BMI Classification, Body Surface Area (BSA), Ideal body weight, Ideal body weight range and Lean body weight are valid for adults only.
In the following formulas weight is expressed in kg and height in m.
Body Mass Index (BMI)
According to Keys and Quetelet:[2,3]
Normal Body Weight Range
Normal Body Weight range is calculated according to WHO recommended healthy BMI range:
Body Surface Area (BSA)
According to Mosteller:
Ideal Body Weight
According to Robinson et al. (note: height in m):
Lean Body Weight (LBW)
According to Hume:
- Keys A, Fidanza F, Karvonen MJ, Kimura N, Taylor HL (1972) Indices of relative weight and adiposity. J Chronic Dis 25:329-343.
- Quetelet A (1932) Recherches sur le poids de l’homme aux different âges. Nouveaux Memoires de l'Académie Royale des Sciences et Belles-Lettres de Bruxelles 7:1.
- Quetelet A (1942) A Treatise on Man and the Development of his Faculties. Book Second, Chapter II. Of the Development of the Weight, and of its relations to the development of the height of the body. Reprinted in 1968 by Burt Franklin, New York.
- World Health Organization WHO Global Database on Body Mass Index.
- Mosteller RD (1987) Simplified Calculation of Body Surface Area (letter). N Engl J Med 317:1098.
- Robinson JD, Lupkiewicz SM, Palenik L, Lopez LM, Ariet M (1983) Determination of ideal body weight for drug dosage calculations. Am J Hosp Pharm 40:1016-1019.
- Hume R (1966) Prediction of lean body mass from height and weight. J Clin Pathol 19:389-391.